Natural cork enclosures, due to their cell structure, composition, and low moisture are fairly transparent to terahertz (THz) and millimeter waves enabling nondestructive evaluation of the cork's surface and interior. It is shown that the attenuation coefficient of the defect-free cork can be modeled with a Mie scattering model in the weakly scattering limit. Contrast in the THz images is a result of enhanced scattering of THz radiation by defects or voids as well as variations in the cork cell structure. The presence of voids, defects, and changes in grain structure can be determined with roughly
© 2008 Optical Society of America
Instrumentation, Measurement, and Metrology
Original Manuscript: September 19, 2007
Manuscript Accepted: October 12, 2007
Published: December 20, 2007
Vol. 3, Iss. 2 Virtual Journal for Biomedical Optics
Yew Li Hor, John F. Federici, and Robert L. Wample, "Nondestructive evaluation of cork enclosures using terahertz/millimeter wave spectroscopy and imaging," Appl. Opt. 47, 72-78 (2008)
- J. Chang, G. Han, J. M. Valverde, N. C. Griswold, J. F. Duque-Carrillo, and E. Sanchez-Sinencio, "Cork quality classification system using a unified image processing and fuzzy-neural network methodology," IEEE Trans. Neural Netw. 8, 964-974 (1997). [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- R. Juanola, D. Subirà, V. Salvadó, J. A. Garcia Regueiro, and E. Anticó, "Evaluation of an extraction method in the determination of the 2,4,6-trichloroanisole content of tainted cork," J. Chromatogr. A 953, 207-214 (2002). [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- E. Lizarraga, Á. Irigoyen, V. Belsue, and E. González-Peñas, "Determination of chloroanisole compounds in red wine by headspace solid-phase microextraction and gas chromatography-mass spectrometry," J. Chromatogr. A 1052, 145-149 (2004). [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- E. Herve, S. Price, G. Burns, and P. Weber, presented at the ASEV Annual Meeting, Reno, Nevada, 2 July 1999. http://www.corkqc.com/asev/asev2-2.htm.
- D. Zimdars, J. A. Valdmanis, J. S. White, G. Stuk, W. P. Winfree, and E. I. Madaras, "Time domain terahertz detection of flaws within space shuttle sprayed on foam insulation," in Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics/(CLEO), Vol. 96 of OSA Trends in Optics and Photonics (Optical Society of America, 2004), paper CThN4. http://www.opticsinfobase.org/abstract.cfm?id=104293.
- H. S. Chua, P. C. Upadhya, A. D. Haigh, J. Obradovic, A. A. P. Gibson, and E. H. Linfield, "Terahertz time-domain spectroscopy of wheat grain," in Conference Digest of the 2004 Joint 29th International Conference on Infrared and Millimeter Waves and 12th International Conference on Terahertz Electronics (IEEE, 2004), pp. 399-400. [CrossRef]
- H. S. Chua, J. Obradovic, A. D. Haigh, P. C. Upadhya, O. Hirsch, D. Crawley, A. A. P. Gibson, and E. H. Linfield, "Terahertz time-domain spectroscopy of crushed wheat grain," in 2005 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium (IEEE, 2005), p. 4.
- S. Hadjiloucas, R. K. H. Galvao, and J. W. J. Bowen, "Analysis of spectroscopic measurements of leaf water content at terahertz frequencies using linear transforms," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A 19, 2495-2509 (2002). [CrossRef]
- M. Reid and R. Fedosejevs, "Terahertz birefringence and attenuation properties of wood and paper," Appl. Opt. 45, 2766-2772 (2006). [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- J. F. Federici, D. Gary, R. Barat, and Z.-H. Michalopoulou, "Detection of Explosives by Terahertz Imaging," in Counter-Terrorism Detection Techniques of Explosives, J. Yinon, ed. (Elsevier, 2007). [CrossRef]
- F. C. Delucia, "Spectroscopy in the terahertz spectral region," in Sensing with Terahertz Radiation, D. Mittleman ed. (Springer, 2003).
- Y. L. Hor, H. C. Lim, J. F. Federici, E. Moore, and J. W. Bozzelli, "Terahertz spectroscopy of trichloroanisole," (submitted to Chem. Phys. Lett.).
- A. Miki, A. Isogai, H. Utsunomiya, and H. Iwata, "Identification of 2,4,6-trichloroanisole (TCA) causing a musty/muddy off-flavor in sake and its production in rice koji and moromi mash," J. Biosci. Bioeng. 100, 178-183 (2005). [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- C. Silva Pereira, J. J. Figueiredo Marques, and M. V. San Romao, "Cork taint in wine: scientific knowledge and public perception--a critical review," Crit. Rev. Microbiol. 26, 147-162 (2000). [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- D. Mittleman, "Terahertz imaging," in Sensing with Terahertz Radiation, D. Mittleman, ed. (Springer, 2003).
- A. Sengupta, A. Bandyopadhyay, J. F. Federici, R. B. Barat, D. E. Gary, M. Chen, and D. B. Tanner, "Effects of scattering on THz spectra of granular solids," Int. J. Infrared Millim. Waves (to be published).
- D. M. Mittleman, S. Hunsche, L. Boivin, and M. C. Nuss, "T-ray tomography," Opt. Lett. 22, 904-906 (1997). [CrossRef] [PubMed]
Appl. Phys. Lett
Aust. J. Grape Win. Res.
Chem. Phys. Lett.
Crit. Rev. Microbiol.
Environ. Sci. Pollut. Res.
Food Qual. Pref.
IEEE Sens. J.
IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech.
IEEE Trans. Neural Netw.
Insight-Non-Destruct. Test. Condition Monitor.
Int. J. Infrared Millim. Waves
J. Agric. Food Chem.
J. Biosci. Bioeng.
J. Chem. Phys.
J. Chromatogr. A
J. Opt. Soc. Am. A
J. Phys. Chem B
Nucl. Instrum. Methods Phys. Res. B
Semicond. Sci. Technol.
Water Sci. Technol.
2006, , Insight-Non-Destruct. Test. Condition Monitor.
|Alert me when this paper is cited|
OSA is able to provide readers links to articles that cite this paper by participating in CrossRef's Cited-By Linking service. CrossRef includes content from more than 3000 publishers and societies. In addition to listing OSA journal articles that cite this paper, citing articles from other participating publishers will also be listed.