Topics in this Issue
(a) RGB image of the Moderate-Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) Aqua data from 11 April 2005 over the northeastern coast of the United States. (b) Retrieved aerosol optical thickness over the same scene in the 869 nm band. (c) NO2 amount obtained from the Ozone Measuring Instrument (OMI) onboard Aura, which flies in formation with MODIS-Aqua. (d) Normalized water-leaving radiance (nLw) in the 412 nm band from the current operational processing of MODIS data. Comparing (c) with (d), one finds that in the region where the NO2 amount is very high (>1.6 x 1016 molecules/cm2), the retrieved nLw is very low (<0.1 mW/cm2/micro m/sr). Incorporation of the NO2 atmospheric correction [(e)] results in higher nLw values over high NO2 amount areas [(c)]. The underestimation in the mean value of nLw for the scene is ~17%. For further details, see the paper by Ahmad et al., pp. 6504-6512.
- Apr 14 2014 : Let the Sun Shine In: Redirecting Sunlight to Urban Alleyways - In dense, urban centers around the world, many people live and work... more
- Apr 07 2014 : Alison Taylor Joins The Optical Society as Executive Editor - The Optical Society (OSA) announced today that Alison Taylor has... more
- Mar 20 2014 : Shrink Wrap Used to Enhance Detection of Infectious Disease Biomarkers - Detecting HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis, malaria and other deadly infectious... more
- Feb 24 2014 : Thicker than Water: Medical Researchers Use Light to Quickly and Easily Measure Blood’s Clotting Properties - To provide caregivers with timely information about the clotting... more
- Optical properties of the metals Al, Co, Cu, Au, Fe, Pb,...
- Optical Constants of Water in the 200-nm to 200-?m...
- Optical Properties of Metallic Films for Vertical-Cavity...
- Huygens–Feynman–Fresnel principle as the...
- Vibration detection by observation of speckle patterns
- Phase retrieval algorithms: a comparison
- Optical properties of fourteen metals in the infrared and...
- Phase retrieval algorithms: a personal tour [Invited]
- Laser Beams and Resonators
- Blue moons and Martian sunsets