Topics in this Issue
(a) RGB image of the Moderate-Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) Aqua data from 11 April 2005 over the northeastern coast of the United States. (b) Retrieved aerosol optical thickness over the same scene in the 869 nm band. (c) NO2 amount obtained from the Ozone Measuring Instrument (OMI) onboard Aura, which flies in formation with MODIS-Aqua. (d) Normalized water-leaving radiance (nLw) in the 412 nm band from the current operational processing of MODIS data. Comparing (c) with (d), one finds that in the region where the NO2 amount is very high (>1.6 x 1016 molecules/cm2), the retrieved nLw is very low (<0.1 mW/cm2/micro m/sr). Incorporation of the NO2 atmospheric correction [(e)] results in higher nLw values over high NO2 amount areas [(c)]. The underestimation in the mean value of nLw for the scene is ~17%. For further details, see the paper by Ahmad et al., pp. 6504-6512.
- Aug 28 2014 : This is Your Brain's Blood Vessels on Drugs - A new method for measuring and imaging how quickly blood flows in the... more
- Aug 20 2014 : Optica Research - UAlberta Engineers Take Major Step Toward Photonic Circuits. Nano-optical cables could replace copper wiring on computer chips… more
- Aug 06 2014 : Optica Research - New Hand-Held Device Uses Lasers, Sound Waves for Deeper Melanoma Imaging
- Jul 30 2014 : OSA Journal Portfolio Continues to Lead Optics Category in Total Citations and Articles in Thomson Reuters 2014 Journal Citation Reports - The Optical Society (OSA) is pleased to announce its full portfolio... more
- Optical properties of the metals Al, Co, Cu, Au, Fe, Pb,...
- Optical properties of metallic films for vertical-cavity...
- Phase retrieval algorithms: a comparison
- Laser Beams and Resonators
- Recent advances in digital holography [Invited]
- Measuring very low optical powers with a common camera
- Exact analytic solutions of Maxwell’s equations...
- Simplifying numerical ray tracing for characterization of...
- Optical Constants of Water in the 200-nm to 200-?m...
- Multimode interference devices with...