Topics in this Issue
(a) RGB image of the Moderate-Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) Aqua data from 11 April 2005 over the northeastern coast of the United States. (b) Retrieved aerosol optical thickness over the same scene in the 869 nm band. (c) NO2 amount obtained from the Ozone Measuring Instrument (OMI) onboard Aura, which flies in formation with MODIS-Aqua. (d) Normalized water-leaving radiance (nLw) in the 412 nm band from the current operational processing of MODIS data. Comparing (c) with (d), one finds that in the region where the NO2 amount is very high (>1.6 x 1016 molecules/cm2), the retrieved nLw is very low (<0.1 mW/cm2/micro m/sr). Incorporation of the NO2 atmospheric correction [(e)] results in higher nLw values over high NO2 amount areas [(c)]. The underestimation in the mean value of nLw for the scene is ~17%. For further details, see the paper by Ahmad et al., pp. 6504-6512.
- Feb 24 2014 : Thicker than Water: Medical Researchers Use Light to Quickly and Easily Measure Blood’s Clotting Properties - To provide caregivers with timely information about the clotting... more
- Feb 18 2014 : A Stretchable Highway for Light - A team of Belgian researchers reports progress on this front with... more
- Feb 11 2014 : First 3-D Movies of Living Sperm - more
- Feb 05 2014 : OSA to Launch New Gold Open-Access Journal Focused on High-Impact Results - The Optical Society (OSA) today announced it will publish a new... more
- Optical properties of the metals Al, Co, Cu, Au, Fe, Pb,...
- Huygens–Feynman–Fresnel principle as the...
- Optical Properties of Metallic Films for Vertical-Cavity...
- Optical properties of fourteen metals in the infrared and...
- Toward a super imaging system [Invited]
- Aberration considerations in lens tolerancing
- Phase retrieval algorithms: a personal tour [Invited]
- Vibration detection by observation of speckle patterns
- Self-mode-locked 2 μm Tm3+-doped...
- Optical Constants of Water in the 200-nm to 200-?m...