Applied Optics and JOSA B Feature Issue
Laser Interaction with Materials (Invited Only)
Submission Deadline: 1 June 2014
Applied Optics and JOSA B will jointly publish a feature issue including selected papers from the HPLA/BEP 2014 conference, which will be held 21-25 April 2014.
Laser-materials interaction is the fascinating nexus where laser physics, optical physics and materials science intersect.
- Laser-induced high resolution plasma spectroscopy.
- Structuring solar cell surfaces for higher efficiency.
- Clean materials processing with femtosecond beams.
- Microdeposition via Laser-induced forward transfer (LIFT) of thin films
- Making MEMS nanostructures that would be impossible by other means.
- Nanograting formation in glasses.
- Creating color filters with nanoparticles.
- Creating silicon wafers with dopant concentrations far beyond the equilibrium solubility limit.
- Creating in-volume waveguiding structures using fs laser filaments.
- Creating very high density storage sites on sub-ps timescale via laser-induced amorphous-to-crystalline phase changes.
Papers should be submitted to either Applied Optics or JOSA B. Papers dealing with applications will be submitted to Applied Optics and papers dealing with optical physics will be submitted to JOSA B. All papers need to present original, previously unpublished work, and will be subject to the normal criteria and peer-review process of the journal.
Manuscripts must be prepared according to the usual standards for submission to Applied Optics and JOSA B; see the Information for Contributors in any printed issue or the OSA Style Guide. Manuscripts must also be uploaded through OSA's electronic submission system. Please specify that the manuscript is for the Laser Interaction with Materials feature (choose from the feature issue drop-down menu). When submitting to Applied Optics, authors should select the Lasers, Photonics, & Environmental Optics category. Upon acceptance, papers will appear in their respective print journals and will also be published online. A combined table of contents of papers in JOSA B and Applied Optics will also appear in Optics InfoBase in November 2014.
Feature Issue Editors
Claude Phipps, Photonic Associates, LLC (Lead)
Willy Bohn, Bohn Laser Consult
Thierry Sarnet, LP3 Laboratory CNRS-Aix-Marseille and Harvard Universities
Leonid Zhigilei, University of Virginia (Lead)
Thomas Baumert, Institute for Physics and CINSat, Kassel University
Pavel Polynkin, University of Arizona