OSA's Digital Library

Journal of Optical Communications and Networking

Journal of Optical Communications and Networking

  • Editor: Richard Barry
  • Vol. 1, Iss. 8 — Aug. 2, 2002
  • pp: 323–337

Maxmin lambda allocation for dense wavelength-division-multiplexing networks

Wei K. Tsai and Jordi Ros  »View Author Affiliations


Journal of Optical Networking, Vol. 1, Issue 8, pp. 323-337 (2002)


View Full Text Article

Acrobat PDF (185 KB)





Browse Journals / Lookup Meetings

Browse by Journal and Year


   


Lookup Conference Papers

Close Browse Journals / Lookup Meetings

Article Tools

Share
Citations
  • Export Citation/Save Click for help

Abstract

We present a heuristic for solving the discrete maximum-minimum (maxmin) rates for dense WDM- (DWDM-) based optical subnetworks. Discrete maxmin allocation is proposed here as the preferred way of assigning wavelengths to the flows found to be suitable for lightpath switching. The discrete maxmin optimality condition is shown to be a unifying principle underlying both the continuous maxmin and discrete maxmin optimality conditions. Among the many discrete maxmin solutions for each assignment problem, lexicographic optimal solutions can be argued to be the best in the true sense of maxmin. However, the problem of finding lexicographic optimal solutions is known to be NP-complete (NP is the class that a nondeterministic Turing machine accepts in polynomial time). The heuristic proposed here is tested against all possible networks such that |Γ + Ω| ≤ 10, where Γ and Ω are the set of links and the set of flows of the network, respectively. From 1,084,112 possible networks, the heuristic produces the exact lexicographic solutions with 99.8% probability. Furthermore, for 0.2% cases in which the solutions are nonoptimal, 99.8% of these solutions are within the minimal possible distance from the true lexicographic optimal solutions.

© 2002 Optical Society of America

OCIS Codes
(060.4250) Fiber optics and optical communications : Networks
(350.0350) Other areas of optics : Other areas of optics

ToC Category:
FOCUS: Optical Ethernet

History
Original Manuscript: May 2, 2002
Revised Manuscript: May 2, 2002
Published: August 2, 2002

Citation
Wei K. Tsai and Jordi Ros, "Maxmin lambda allocation for dense wavelength-division-multiplexing networks," J. Opt. Netw. 1, 323-337 (2002)
http://www.opticsinfobase.org/jocn/abstract.cfm?URI=jon-1-8-323


Sort:  Journal  |  Reset

References

  1. J. Bannister, J. Touch, A. Willner, and S. Suryaputra, “How many wavelenthgs do we really need? a study of the performance limits of packet over wavelengths,” Opt. Netw. Mag. (February 2000), pp. 17–28.
  2. S. Sarkar and L. Tassiulas, ”Fair allocation of discrete bandwidth layers in multicast networks,” in Infocom 2000: Proceedings of the Nineteenth Annual Joint Conference of the IEEE Computer and Communications Societies (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, New York, 2000), pp. 1491–1500.
  3. Wei K. Tsai and M. Iyer, “Constraint precedence in max–min fair rate allocation,” in Proceedings of the Conference on Computer Communications (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, New York, 2000), pp. 490–494.
  4. J. Ros and W. K. Tsai, “A general theory of constrained max–min rate allocation or multicast networks,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Networks (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, New York, 2000), pp. 327–335.
  5. D. Basak, D. O. Awduche, J. Drake, and Y. Rekhter, “Multi-protocol lambda switching: issues in combining MPLS traffic engineering control with optical cross-connects,” Internet Draft (Internet Engineering Task Force, August 2000), <a href="http://www.globecom.net/ietf/draft/draft-awduche-mpls-te-optical-01.txt">http://www.globecom.net/ietf/draft/draft-awduche-mpls-te-optical-01.txt</a>.
  6. E. Gafni and D. Bertsekas, “Dynamic control of session input rates in communication networks,” IEEE Trans. Autom. Control AC29, 1009–1016 (1984).
  7. Y. Hou, H. Tzeng, and S. Panwar, “A generalized max–min rate allocation policy and its distributed implementation using the ABR flow control mechanism,” in Infocom 1998: Proceedings of the Nineteenth Annual Joint Conference of the IEEE Computer and Communications Societies (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, New York, 1998), pp. 1366–1375.
  8. Y. H. Long, T. K. Ho, A. B. Rad, and S. P. S. Lam, “A study of the generalised max–min fair rate allocation for ABR control in ATM,” Comput. Commun. 22, 1247-1259 (1999).
  9. J. Ros and Wei K. Tsai, “Zero-queue flow allocation protocol for DWDM networks,” Working Paper (Departement of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of California, Irvine, Irvine, Calif. 92697).
  10. J. Ros and W. K. Tsai, ”A general theory of discrete max–min rate assignment,” Tech. Rep. (University of California—Irvine, Irvine, Calif., May, 2000). Available at <a href="http://www.eng.uci.edu/~netrol">http://www.eng.uci.edu/~netrol</a>.

Cited By

OSA is able to provide readers links to articles that cite this paper by participating in CrossRef's Cited-By Linking service. CrossRef includes content from more than 3000 publishers and societies. In addition to listing OSA journal articles that cite this paper, citing articles from other participating publishers will also be listed.

« Previous Article

OSA is a member of CrossRef.

CrossCheck Deposited