We present a method to determine the direction of a magnetic field in an experimental volume by analyzing the polarization of resonant optical radiation and data that demonstrate this method with a single trapped
© 2005 Optical Society of America
(120.5410) Instrumentation, measurement, and metrology : Polarimetry
(230.3810) Optical devices : Magneto-optic systems
(260.7490) Physical optics : Zeeman effect
(300.6520) Spectroscopy : Spectroscopy, trapped ion
Justin R. Torgerson, Martin M. Schauer, Steve K. Lamoreaux, and Sebastien Gleyzes, "Single-ion magnetic compass," J. Opt. Soc. Am. B 22, 72-76 (2005)
- E. N. Fortson, "Possibility of measuring parity nonconservation with a single trapped atomic ion," Phys. Rev. Lett. 70, 2383-2386 (1993). [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- W. M. Klipstein, S. K. Lamoreaux, and E. N. Fortson, "Observation of spontaneous spin polarization in an optically pumped cesium vapor," Phys. Rev. Lett. 76, 2266-2269 (1996). [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- "Searches for spatial anisotropy and a permanent electric dipole moment using optically pumped Hg," S. K. Lamoreaux, Ph.D. Thesis (University of Washington, Seattle, Wash., 1986), manuscript available from the author.
- S. K. Lamoreaux, J. P. Jacobs, B. R. Heckel, F. J. Raab, and N. Fortson, "New constraints on time-reversal asymmetry from a search for a permanent electric dipole moment of 199Hg," Phys. Rev. Lett. 59, 2275-2278 (1987). [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- R. D. Cowen, The Theory of Atomic Structure and Spectra , (U. California, Berkeley, 1981), pp. 142-147.
- H. R. Gray, R. M. Whitley, and C. R. Stroud, Jr., "Coherent trapping of atomic populations," Opt. Lett. 3, 218-220 (1978). [CrossRef] [PubMed]
Am. J. Phys.
J. Res. Natl. Inst. Stand. Technol.
Phys. Rev. A
Phys. Rev. Lett.
Rev. Mod. Phys.
2002, Budker, Rev. Mod. Phys.
|Alert me when this paper is cited|
OSA is able to provide readers links to articles that cite this paper by participating in CrossRef's Cited-By Linking service. CrossRef includes content from more than 3000 publishers and societies. In addition to listing OSA journal articles that cite this paper, citing articles from other participating publishers will also be listed.