Accepted papers to appear in an upcoming issue
OSA now posts prepublication articles as soon as they are accepted and cleared for production. See the FAQ for additional information.
Articles 1 to 3 of 3
(GP)An efficient adiabatic SOI waveguide taper
- received 01/15/2014; accepted 04/10/2014; posted 04/10/2014; Doc. ID 204818
- [full text: PDF (2952) KB)]
- Abstract: A silicon-on-insulator (SOI)-based adiabatic waveguide taper with high coupling efficiency and small footprint is presented. The taper was designed with less mode conversion of first-order to high-order and radiation modes inside the waveguide. In connecting a 0.5-μm-wide output waveguide and a 12-μm-wide input waveguide of a grating coupler, a compact 120-μm-long taper was demonstrated achieving a transmission of 98.3%, which could only be achieved by a conventional linear taper with a length of more than 300-μm.
- (130.0130) Integrated optics : Integrated optics
- (130.3120) Integrated optics : Integrated optics devices
- (230.7390) Optical devices : Waveguides, planar
- (130.7405) Integrated optics : Wavelength conversion devices
- (230.7405) Optical devices : Wavelength conversion devices
Characterization of the laser ablation using a quasi-Bessel beam
- received 10/14/2013; accepted 03/30/2014; posted 04/04/2014; Doc. ID 199431
- [full text: PDF (519) KB)]
- Abstract: A quasi-Bessel beam is suitable for the laser ablation because it possesses micron-sized focal spot and long depth-of-focus simultaneously. In this paper, the characterizations of quasi-Bessel beam formed by the ideal axicon and oblate-tip axicon were described. Strong on-axis intensity oscillations occur due to interference between the quasi-Bessel beam and the refracted beam by the oblate-tip. Using the axicon for laser ablation was theoretical investigated. Simple analytical formulas can be used to predict the required parameters, including the laser pulse energy, the generated fluence distributions, and the ablation widths.
- (140.0140) Lasers and laser optics : Lasers and laser optics
- (140.3300) Lasers and laser optics : Laser beam shaping
- (140.3390) Lasers and laser optics : Laser materials processing
- (140.3295) Lasers and laser optics : Laser beam characterization
(GP)Graphene--Based Optical Phase Modulation of Waveguide TE Modes
- received 01/17/2014; accepted 03/27/2014; posted 04/03/2014; Doc. ID 204777
- [full text: PDF (379) KB)]
- Abstract: In this paper we report TE mode phase modulation obtained by inducing a capacitive charge on graphene layers embedded in the core of a waveguide. There is a biasing regime in which graphene absorption is negligible but large index variations can be achieved with a voltage-length product as small as $V_\pi\,L_\pi \simeq 0.07 $\,V\,cm for straight waveguides and $V_\pi\,L_\pi \simeq 0.0024 $\,V\,cm for 12\,$\mu$\,m radius microring resonators. This phase modulation device uniquely enables a small signal amplitude $<1\,$V with a micron size footprint for compatibility with CMOS circuit integration Examples of phase induced changes are computed for straight waveguides and for microring resonators showing the possibility to implement several optoelectronic functionalities as modulators, tunable filters, and switches.
- (060.4510) Fiber optics and optical communications : Optical communications
- (130.3130) Integrated optics : Integrated optics materials
- (250.3140) Optoelectronics : Integrated optoelectronic circuits
- (130.4110) Integrated optics : Modulators
Articles 1 to 3 of 3